Leveraging GIS Data
Stay connected and subscribe to this blog.
Leveraging GIS (geospatial information systems) data, has become invaluable for numerous industries to analyze trends, predict events and make the most informed and accurate decisions possible.
Location intelligence – the use of GIS data to gain insight – has become a necessity for organizations expecting to stay ahead of the curve.
As we have seen over the last 20 months, with a global pandemic shutting down anything we consider “business as usual”, the ability to predict and manage responses to events is crucial. By leveraging GIS tools and techniques to transform and analyze data, location intelligence is key to helping organizations stay alert and prepared. But this brings up some big questions:
- Where to get GIS information?
- Where do we use it?
- How to leverage it?
- How can we interpret it?
Satellite imagery tracks the changes of both the human and environmental footprint across the globe.
Where to get GIS information?
Location Intelligence provides spatial and location context to the data that we generate every day from a slew of sources available, such as:
- Satellite imagery: tracks the changes of both the human and environmental footprint across the globe;
- Lidar Point Clouds: can be used to create accurate 3D environments based on sets of data points collected from drones;
- Hyperspectral imagery: obtains more specific information with the full spectrum of each pixel in an image (ex: Infrared, MIR, Short-wave infrared); and
- Commercial, public & private information: includes all of the above, as well as cellphone, social media data, security cameras, Internet of Things (IoT), drones, autonomous vehicles, and more.
There is an astounding amount of data that can be captured and analyzed to allow organizations, cities and government entities to capture trends and manage incidents more effectively.
Using GIS Data across Sectors
Location Intelligence insights benefit a wide range of sectors by enabling situational, demographic and circumstantial information to be viewed in a comprehensive framework.
- Public security agencies can predict potential threats with higher accuracy, while defense and military organizations can reinforce operations and scenarios through 3D simulations. Thanks to location-specific data, they can make more accurate public safety analyses and decisions.
- Governments and other organizations working in disaster management and preparedness can prioritize and prepare public safety measures as well as heighten their response after natural disasters like hurricanes, wildfires, tornados or floods.
- Infrastructure & utilities development and management organizations can study, analyze, and manage the placement of power grids, telecommunication lines, sewers, power plants, and more. This can improve their city’s overall development, mobility, security and efficiency.
- In Smart Cities, data collection and analysis can help urban planners determine a number of things: where to place stop signs, where to install motion-detecting lights, and overall, how to become more sustainable.
Location Intelligence data will allow cities, governments and organizations to continually evolve and adapt to our changing environment and demands.
Leveraging GIS Data for Decision-Making
The application of Location Intelligence is directly linked to the quality of life we all enjoy. So why not use it to its full potential? Organizations can get a head start by using data-driven decision-making to address probable events with certainty and accuracy. GIS data will help them:
- Analyze trends: by studying Location Intelligence data, cities and organizations can extract a comprehensive snapshot of their situational blueprint and better predict potential patterns and trends.
- Predict events and inform decision-making: an in-depth analysis will inform an organization’s approach to addressing probable events or issues and prepare them for future events.
- Prepare and respond efficiently: this enables cities and organizations to be more reactive thanks to solutions that are backed by real data insights.
- Advance the development of digital twins: these virtual reproductions of a specific location can now be done not only on land, but beneath the oceans.
- Create virtual environments and 3D simulations: agencies and organizations can leverage Location Intelligence data to produce better, more precise simulation and instrument-ready 3D digital twin environments.
- Gain new insights: through virtual, mixed, or augmented reality, users can obtain new perspectives to see, analyze and simulate locations.
Through the V5D interface, users can perform live-edits to their environments, thus improving their digital twin.
How Can We Interpret GIS Data?
The biggest question is how to we interpret the data and use it in a constructive way?
In order to use this data in a constructive manner, you need a digital twin of the area you are working on. Presagis is a global leader in the creation of 3D dynamic virtual environments and simulation applications. With over 30 years experience in creating virtual worlds, Presagis has the tools and expertise to help organizations create digital twins.
Presagis developed VELOCITY 5D, a data agnostic solution that can rapidly create rich and immersive 3D environments from a wide range of GIS data. These environments can be as specific as a single building, or as large as an entire country.
VELOCITY 5D – or V5D – is designed to rapidly creating, updating, or enhancing large-scale 3D environments. Through its interface, users can also perform live-edits to their environments, thus improving the digital twin. When combined with Presagis 3D models that are materialized and (sensor) instrumented, virtual environments are ready for simulation.
V5D can be a critical tool in supporting rapid decision-making. By integrating and fusing big geospatial data to a digital twin, along with IoT devices, we are capable or capturing real-time analytics and providing realism and much-needed context to a virtual environment.
Ready to bring your GIS data to the next level? Contact us to schedule a call with one of our experts!
Stay connected and subscribe to this blog.
V5D is capable of creating large-scale 3D environments using a wide range of data formats.